Tayana Owners Group Forum Index Tayana Owners Group
We have moved discussion to Google Groups -- TOGnews Forum was closed 11/1/07

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups
 Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for Raymarine linear drive unit

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tayana Owners Group Forum Index -> Tayana Talk - We Have Moved to Google Groups -- CLOSED 11/1/07
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MichaelKQ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Looking for Raymarine linear drive unit Reply with quote

Hi All:

Earlier this summer I broke a small plate in my Raymarine Autopilot, but it only comes as part of a larger assembly, specifically the entire drive unit, aproximately $1450 . Consequently, I am looking for a used unit.

It is a Type 2 Linear Drive, Short throw, 12vdc

I've looked on our TOG Gear for sale site, ebay, etc. I have been unable to find any used units and the least expensive new one is a remanufactured unit directly through a dealer for $1150

Does anybody have one, or know where I might look?

Thanks for any direction.

Michael
(612) 685-2282 Cell
MQuirk@HarbingerIndustries.com
Tom Shannon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
Try putting a post on Sailnet.com A very active site with lots of things for sale. Good luck.
Tom Shannon
V42 Orion
MichaelKQ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tom, I will do that
Michael
(612) 685-2282 Cell
MQuirk@HarbingerIndustries.com
hjkarten
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michael,
Raymarine may not be the OEM of the linear drive. Do a global search with Google, looking for "Unbalanced Hydraulic Cylinder". I recently thought I would have to replace my unit, and was surprised to find that there are several suppliers. The "unbalanced" refers to the fact that it is a short throw - i.e., the rod does not extend out the back of the cylinder. I recall that I found a brand new Type 1 unit for about $325 made of brass, at the local San Diego Marine Exchange. The unit they had was a "balanced" type, but the same company makes an "unbalanced" unit. They also make a Type 2 and Type 3.

You should also start searching with
http://www.hypro.co.uk/marine.htm
as an example of different units. Hypro is higher priced, but you could also search through GlobalSpec - a supplier of all sorts of industrial parts, including hydraulic cylinders for tractors, sailboats, etc.
I suggest that you shop around in the industrial part of town where they repair tractor and truck hydraulics.
There is also a company near Vancouver that manufactures hydraulics for marine and other applications. I think that the name is something like "Octopus Hydraulics".
regards,
Harvey
Hull #84
Del Mar, CA 92014
EMail: hjkarten@ucsd.edu
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tayana Owners Group Forum Index -> Tayana Talk - We Have Moved to Google Groups -- CLOSED 11/1/07 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: