Tayana Owners Group Forum Index Tayana Owners Group
We have moved discussion to Google Groups -- TOGnews Forum was closed 11/1/07

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups
 Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Frozen stuffing box flange

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tayana Owners Group Forum Index -> Tayana Talk - We Have Moved to Google Groups -- CLOSED 11/1/07
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Gross

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Frozen stuffing box flange Reply with quote

I just purchased my 1982 T37 this year and am encountering some difficulty in pulling the flange forward from the stuffing box. The previous owner packed it about two years ago. When I back off the nuts from the studs and tap on the flange with a punch and a 20 0z. hammer or attempt to pry it forward with a long screw driver, it doesn't even want to budge. On the survey/sea trial back in March '07 it would drip nicely from the flange when the nuts were backed off only about one/half turn. Now, it doesn't drip from the area around the flange at all no matter how loose the nuts are from the studs. Corrosion? - I put on new zinc anodes on the propeller and rudder in March this year and they appear to still have some life.

Further info that might help to explain the problem: The engine was not started up while sitting in her slip without use for six months. It is apparently able to drip from a point farther back that I cannot see, when the nuts are loosened. (I folded some paper towels and shoved them aft under the drive shaft and they were somewhat wet after about 20 minutes of motoring).

I'm hesitant to heat it with a torch unless necessary.
I want to replace it with a dripless PSS.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tayana Owners Group Forum Index -> Tayana Talk - We Have Moved to Google Groups -- CLOSED 11/1/07 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: