Tayana Owners Group Forum Index Tayana Owners Group
We have moved discussion to Google Groups -- TOGnews Forum was closed 11/1/07

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups
 Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thru Hull Identification Tayana 42

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tayana Owners Group Forum Index -> Tayana Talk - We Have Moved to Google Groups -- CLOSED 11/1/07
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Shannon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:59 am    Post subject: Thru Hull Identification Tayana 42 Reply with quote

Does anyone have a list by location of the the thru hulls on a Tayana 42. I have the plumbing schematic from Tayana but it does not give locations. I'm in the process of tagging them and a couple have me stymied because I can't seem to trace them back. For instance I have 2 behind the head. One is the discharge. The intake is up forward and so I'm thinking the other is the sump drain but am not certain. Likewise there is one in the quarterberth hanging locker that I have not id'd. Thanks in advance.
tom Shannon
V42 Orion
Bill Rohde

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect the thru-hull placement for each Van 42 might be slightly different depending on the model (aft cockpit, center cockpit, or pilothouse (our boat), and any interior customizations of each model (few Tayanas are exactly identical to one another). I can say that on our boat the two through-hulls in the head area are for the overboard discharge and the head sink drain, which is perhaps similar to yours.

Except for the head intake, which apparently you've traced, and the galley sink drain, which should be fairly easy to trace, all of my other raw water inputs (main engine, genset, galley foot pump, refrigeration heat exchanger) come through a single large through-hull into a multi-port strainer/manifold.

In addition we have some above the water line through hulls, as I'm sure you do too, including our shower sump discharge, refrigeration heat exchanger discharge, bilge pump discharges (some of these are consolidated) and the cockpit scuppers. All of these are above the waterline in the stern sections, and all protected by thru-hull valves.

Bill Rohde
s/v Jubilee
Tayana Vancouver 42 PH Cutter
Tom Shannon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,
Thanks for your response. Mine is a trunk cabin version. I think you're right about the head sink drain. You might want to check the sea chest on your boat. Mine was found to be rotted out underneath and I replaced it with a simple thru hull and strainer. Unlike yours mine only fed the engine intake and the galley foot pump. I guess they are all laid out differently.
How is the sailing in your area? Right now I'm on the upper end of the Chesapeake Bay and I suffer from a lack of wind on too many days. I'll be docked on the New Jersey coast next summmer to do a little coastal sailing. Unlike you I have removed the staysail rig but intend to install it again over the winter.
Tom Shannon
V42 Orion
FTimmons

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other through hull behind the head is the sink drain.

On our trunk cabin V42, the head intake (shared with the washdown pump) is forward of the head in the V berth.

The galley sink drain is under the counter on the port side of the boat. The main water intake is on the starboard side a little aft of midships.

The bilge and shower sump drains are teed together and exit on the port side just in front of the galley sink.

The others are the hand bilge pump and cockpit scuppers, which are at the back of the boat.
Tom Shannon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank,
Thanks, I appreciate the response. It sounds like your galley is on the port side, mine is starboard. If I reverse your thru hulls it makes sense. The only one I'm not sure of yet is the shower sump and I think I'll just pump it out and see where it exits. Any other 42s down your way?
Tom Shannon
V42 Orion
FTimmons

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

None that I know of.

We see a few here and there on the bay, though.
Tom Shannon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen none on the upper end of the bay. I'm heading to New Jersey next year with my boat, maybe I'll spot one there.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tayana Owners Group Forum Index -> Tayana Talk - We Have Moved to Google Groups -- CLOSED 11/1/07 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: