Tayana Owners Group Forum Index Tayana Owners Group
We have moved discussion to Google Groups -- TOGnews Forum was closed 11/1/07

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups
 Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tayana 52 perforamance and suitability

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tayana Owners Group Forum Index -> Tayana Talk - We Have Moved to Google Groups -- CLOSED 11/1/07
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geoff Kelly

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Tayana 52 perforamance and suitability Reply with quote

I'm considering purchase of a TY52. As far as I'm aware there are none in Australian waters where I am based, so it's hard to get reliable information. I'd welcome any observations on the all 'round performance of the TY52 - especially light air performance, upwind ability, and manageability for short handed - single handed. I want a boat that is suitable to cruise (taken as read), but also one I can take off the dock and go sailing for the day. Any pitfalls I should look for? How do these hulls age viz osmosis?
Rich Hampel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggest you contact the designer Bob Perry directly @ perryboats.com and consider a 'consulting fee' arrangement with Bob to evaluate and find you the best 52 for the $$$, etc. Youll find Bob to be brutally honest about the boat, the upsides/downsides, how to best upgrade, what to specificallly look for in surveys, etc. etc. etc. The Ty52 is supposedly one of Bob Perry's favorite boats.
Ty37 #423 "Aquila"
Kamaloha

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only toured them, never sailed on one, but I did run into a 60-ish gentleman who had nearly completed a solo circumnavigation on one when I was down in the Caribbean. He seemed to think it was just fine for singlehanding. I don't know if he re-rigged it with that in mind. It was a gorgeous boat.
1987 T37 #542
Tom Shannon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try posting this question on sailnet.com There is at least one very active Tayana 52owner there who has sailed the boat extensively. His boat is also for sale in the US. Good luck.
Tom Shannon
V42 Orion
hjkarten
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorgeous boat. Sails like a dream. Easily handled by a couple. Strong!
After sailing on one for a week, I would definitely buy one, if I could afford it! We love the aft cockpit version.
regards,
Harvey
Hull #84
Del Mar, CA 92014
EMail: hjkarten@ucsd.edu
Neil

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the 2003 Transpac double handed on a 2001 Tayana 52 aft cockpit "Beach Music" and found it to be a pretty fast boat that handles easily. We made it in 13 days and it was pretty light wind race. No problems on the crossing except blowing up a kite, which was user error lol

Very nice design by Perry, one of his best
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tayana Owners Group Forum Index -> Tayana Talk - We Have Moved to Google Groups -- CLOSED 11/1/07 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: