Tayana Owners Group Forum Index Tayana Owners Group
We have moved discussion to Google Groups -- TOGnews Forum was closed 11/1/07

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups
 Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Valve Cover On Yanmar 3QM30F

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tayana Owners Group Forum Index -> Tayana Talk - We Have Moved to Google Groups -- CLOSED 11/1/07
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StolenChild

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Valve Cover On Yanmar 3QM30F Reply with quote

Has anyone removed the valve cover (also known as the bonnet) on a Yanmar 3QM? I am wanting to remove mine and check the valve clearances and replace the gasket but it has been so long since it was removed that the existing gasket is very hard and the cover seems almost welded on. I don't want to just start prying on it if someone knows of a nifty technique for getting it off.

Thanks,
Patrick
Tayana 42 Hull #92
Web: www.patrickandnancy.net
Rich Hampel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless the original valve cover gasket was set with an additional graphite or other 'gasket release' compound on one side of the gasket .... you will most probably break the gasket.
Even if you break the gasket you can still use Permatex® 'form a gasket' compounds or even HIGH TEMP RTV from an auto supply to temporarily repair or use the RTV as an entire gasket replacement instead of using a 'gasket' you simply 'glue' the cover on with High Temp RTV: draw a full bead of RTV onto the base, *slightly* seat the cover, allow to cure for an hour or two, THEN tighten more, then let set overnight THEN do the final tightening. The High Temp. RTV is always available in auto supply stores in 'tube' form. Most modern automobiles no longer use 'gaskets' for such application, nowadays they mostly use RTV.

BEST is always to replace a gasket in kind and they are 'instantly' available from 'master' Yanmar distributors ... usually just a few days via UPS. If you have the Yanmar shop manual ... simply enter the gasket part number on the Torresen online parts website, pay your PayPal$, etc. OR contact Torresen direct @231-759-8596. Torresen is the 'master' Yanmar distributor for most of the **central** US. Most times the master distributors will try to refer you to a 'local' distributor ... just tell them that you are not located near any of the 'locals', you need it very soon, cant get to a 'local' easily, etc. ... and they usually will then send direct.
If you dont have it, get the "shop manual" for your 3QM
http://www.torresen.com/
Ty37 #423 "Aquila"
StolenChild

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Rich. I already have the replacement gasket. I'm just looking for any suggestions on getting the cover off. It is VERY tightly adhered to the head. The only fasteners I can see holding it on are the 3 cap nuts on top of the cover. I thought it would come off fairly easy after removing the 3 cap nuts, but it hasn't budged with moderate force. I wanted to solicit advice before I move to a bigger pry-bar and more force.

Thanks,
Patrick
Tayana 42 Hull #92
Web: www.patrickandnancy.net
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tayana Owners Group Forum Index -> Tayana Talk - We Have Moved to Google Groups -- CLOSED 11/1/07 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: