Tayana Owners Group Forum Index Tayana Owners Group
We have moved discussion to Google Groups -- TOGnews Forum was closed 11/1/07

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups
 Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

shaft seals

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tayana Owners Group Forum Index -> Tayana Talk - We Have Moved to Google Groups -- CLOSED 11/1/07
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrew bradley

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject: shaft seals Reply with quote

Hi all,

Will be repowering this winter to a Volvo D2-40 replacing the old MD17C. I am also changing the old stuffing box to a rubber shaft seal.
Does anyone have any time served experience with these, and could recommend makes of such items. I am currently looking at the Volvo one and the Sure Seal.

Cheers, andrew.

S/V Nocturne. #156
Mike W.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PPS dripless isn't very hard to install, just flip the stuffing box flange over and it will slide right on, you might want to relace the flange studs with shorter ones, ours were starting to chafe thruogh the rubber billows of the seal retainer, had I not caught it before we put her back in the water things would have been a bugger out at sea.
Ours had been installed before we bought the boat, and they broke one of the studs but didn't replace it, guess I'm just lucky to have found it.
I was just checking a very slow drip from that area and found the studs pushing into the back of the billows, I was just going to cut the studs shorter when one of them started wobblin' around.
Only one stud was holding the flange in place along with the spring preasure of the billows
I had to drill out the broken stud and then we installed everything back in place but with a new seal.
Kamaloha

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a PSS on the boat since I got it. It came that way, and I replaced it once as the bellows had lost its springiness. As was said, it's pretty trivial to use, and works well, but I too had to shorten the studs on my flange for the same reason. Follow the directions and don't compress the bellows any more than necessary; no reason to wear it out, it works fine with just a little pressure. Don't forget to "burp" it when splashing the boat, you want it filled with water for cooling and lubrication. Finally, I added one SS hose clamp on the shaft above the seal as "insurance" in case the setscrews got loose.
1987 T37 #542
Mike W.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new pps comes only as a vented billows, a 3/8 hose out the top, no need to burp.
Some reccommend that the vent hose be "T"ed into the raw water out let near the exhaust so that the flow of water is forced out the cutlass to keep it clean.
I elected to just run the vent hose up to a high center area rather than mess with my raw water hose.
Mine had the "Hose clamp" retainer but since I had an extra stainless collar I used it instead when I replaced ours.
andrew bradley

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, will look into the PSS. Most of the seals that I have seen on the market seem to use the water from a T in the engine cooling system, but like you I would prefer not to tamper with that.

cheers, andrew.

S/V Nocturne. #156
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tayana Owners Group Forum Index -> Tayana Talk - We Have Moved to Google Groups -- CLOSED 11/1/07 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: