Tayana Owners Group Forum Index Tayana Owners Group
We have moved discussion to Google Groups -- TOGnews Forum was closed 11/1/07

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups
 Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

autopilot for worm gear steering

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tayana Owners Group Forum Index -> Tayana Talk - We Have Moved to Google Groups -- CLOSED 11/1/07
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrew bradley

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:09 am    Post subject: autopilot for worm gear steering Reply with quote

Hi folks,
Looking at fitting a below deck autopilot with hydraulic ram on my T37. Nocturne has worm gear steering which seems to be over built and bomb proof. Just wondering if anyone has fitted a ram to this system and how successful it is.

Cheers andrew.

S/V Nocturne. #156
tmcmsail

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:49 am    Post subject: Autopilot Ram installed Reply with quote

I setup the Raymarine system on my T37. I had to use a hydraulic ram due to the electric one being longer than I had space in the locker. I have a base attached to the frame around the rudder, with a foot glassed into the hull. I got what they call a "Tiller arm" from Edison to attach to the rudderpost.

Overall, a good system, but the hydraulic pump is a bit loud under sail (when I get time I want to put some sound absorbent materials around the pump).

I will try to remember to get pictures of it tomorrow.
T-37 Shearwater #558
Home Port: Galesville, MD
andrew bradley

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers tim, would love to see the shots. Do you also have the worm gear steering also?

andrew.

S/V Nocturne. #156
tmcmsail

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My steering is via cables - no worm geer.
T-37 Shearwater #558
Home Port: Galesville, MD
PaulaR

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never heard on anyone putting a hydraulic ram on worm gear. I'd be interested in see such a setup, because I have my doubts about it working properly. I have a Whitlock 1/4 h.p. rotary drive unit with a Robertson AP-30 autopilot. It has performed flawlessly for thousands of ocean miles.
andrew bradley

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks PaulaR, if you had any photo's or a description of your set up I'd be very interested to see.

thanks, andrew.

S/V Nocturne. #156
jklewissf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my boat (pilot house model) came with both hydraulic and cable steering. The Hydraulic ram attaches to a ss weldment that is bolted onto the quadrant.

To install a hydraulic autopilot all I had to add was the pump and electronics. It uses the same ram as the pilot house steering station.

It is, as has been pointed out, noisy under sail.

One nice thing about the hydraulic steering is a direct benefit of one of the drawbacks people site. When the hydraulic steering is engaged there is absolutely no feedback to the helm but the rudder does not move when I let go of the wheel, either. Properly trimmed the boat will steer itself up wind and on a close reach, so I don't have to listen to the autopilot until well off the wind. If the trip is long enough I use the wind vane.
Tayana 37 PH #581 "Active Transport"
KF6BPU
Soltara

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: auto pilot for worm gear steering Reply with quote

Hi Andrew,
I was just browsing through the forum and saw your postÖ.
We have Worm Steering on our T37. I really donít know much about the hydraulic ram type auto pilot, but can share w/u what we have. When we bought our boat about 10yrs ago or so, it came w/a Benmar Auto Pilot. It is electric and the motor/box is mounted under deck beside (port side) the steering wheel shaft (between wheel and rudder shaft Ė closer to wheel). This shaft has a sprocket on it (probably around 7Ē OD). There is a short chain connecting the auto pilot motor (small sprocket) to the shaft sprocket. Itís a tight setup. Itís an old unit and control, but it still works great! Itís not the latest and greatest, but this setup has worked really well for us while cruising. We also use a Monitor vane. Off hand I donít know what the unit draws, but it can use a fair amount of energy, though it hasnít been an issue for us. I would think that a new unit may be more efficient and have more bells and whistles than ours. Iím not sure, but I Might have some photos w/me if u are interested. Good luck.

Walter
Soltara T37
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tayana Owners Group Forum Index -> Tayana Talk - We Have Moved to Google Groups -- CLOSED 11/1/07 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: