Tayana Owners Group Forum Index Tayana Owners Group
We have moved discussion to Google Groups -- TOGnews Forum was closed 11/1/07

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups
 Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boom Brake's
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tayana Owners Group Forum Index -> Tayana Talk - We Have Moved to Google Groups -- CLOSED 11/1/07
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kamaloha

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They give some fairly detailed installation instructions on where to attach the "bridle" for the preventer which place it pretty much at the location of the midships hawse. What I've done for the last two seasons was take webbing loops and girth hitch the hawse, around the cap rail (mine has no finish on it at this point so I'm not doing any damage). I clip the preventer bridle into the result. I bought some padeyes that I planned to mount through the deck right at the edge of the teak, but I couldn't bring myself to do it yet; I have enough trouble with leaking chain plates, I hate to make two more holes down there that can leak.

Bad weather up here this July, lots of fog and thunderstorms. Due to agenda and a need to travel we logged several days and lots of miles sailing in fog of way less than 1/4 mi viz. We came to like our radar more and more and finally got used to sailing "on instruments". It's the first time I've ever used my "foghorn" at length (one of those blow-in-the-side kazoo-like things). We sailed right into a pack of woodies that were having a race - a NY Yacht club regatta, I think. They were using a buoy that I was navigating by as a turning mark so I caught them coming and going. It was nerve-racking bedlam for about fifteen minutes; could only see them a boatlength away. The radar lets you know where they are but at the last minute you still conflict. They were mostly tangling with each other as they came at each other head-on.

We haven't made it back to Rockland yet, still up in Acadia while the trouble with the engine gets straightened out.
1987 T37 #542
Bill & Bev

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Dutchman Reply with quote

We're very pleased with the Dutchman we got from Defender Marine for our V-42. It is a worthwhile addition to the boat. The boat fittings are in place for mounting it on teh chain plate and the boom, so all that is required are the blocks, the brake and a control line back to the cockpit.
1987 V42 CC #128
Mike W.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After going to the site reccommended earlier on this thread I rigged it as they reccomened, it works great!
Did a few planned times during gale conditions on our trip down the coast and it did just as I wanted, no boom slam in 30kts plus of wind.
And to add it prevented many unplanned jibes from happening with no accidents, no damage, nothin' life is good!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tayana Owners Group Forum Index -> Tayana Talk - We Have Moved to Google Groups -- CLOSED 11/1/07 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: