Tayana Owners Group Forum Index Tayana Owners Group
We have moved discussion to Google Groups -- TOGnews Forum was closed 11/1/07

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups
 Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boom Brake's
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tayana Owners Group Forum Index -> Tayana Talk - We Have Moved to Google Groups -- CLOSED 11/1/07
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike W.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:39 am    Post subject: Boom Brake's Reply with quote

Hi all, something we're thinking about adding to our hardware collection, the boom brake.

I've seen two types, one with a friction controlled drag sheeve in the center, and another with a fixed wheel, (Walder).
I was wondering how well either worked.
I'm leaning towards the friction sheeve as that I think the fixed wheel type will wear the line in a short time.
jklewissf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie described one in a recent post that looked like a very good solution but I was unable to get a response out of the vendor in the UK. Im blanking on the name of the thing but it was a metal cylinder that the line wrapped around and the variable tension clutch system. There was no need for additional winches to absorb the load.

The gizmo had a cable that you pulled on to control the amount of brake that was applied.

I made one try at contact the vendor and then forgot about it. Its probably worth trying again.

Ill try to find it in Charlie's posts
Tayana 37 PH #581 "Active Transport"
KF6BPU
jklewissf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the info on the gizmo charlie recommends. Its Called Scott Boom Brake. Here is its url

http://www.boomlock.com/index.htm

As I said in my previous email, I tried contacting them but was not successful in getting a response.
KF6BPU
Tom Shannon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike W
You might try searching on sailnet.com. I recall a lot of discussion on one of those models and it was all positive. Good luck.
Tom Shannon
V42 Orion
hjkarten
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,
I have a Dutchman 750 on our Tayana 37. I have had excellent results with it, and it provides good frictional braking during a gybe. It only saved our butts one time in a serious unexpected gybe in a small gale, so I think very highly of it. But I think that it can be a bit pricey when you add the Boom Brake unit and then the snap shackles and 9/16" dacron line. I bring it back to the cockpit with a turning block on the outside of the cockpit coaming, and then to a small secondary winch on the coaming. Very easy to use when single handing.

Fleming, same company that made your windvane, now markets a very similar device, but I don't know the price. I have a recollection that it is cheaper than the Dutchman unit.

The boom brake is a lot easier and safer to use than fixed gybe preventers. I use it readily from the cockpit when single handing.
I have also heard good things about the Walder unit.
regards,
Harvey
Hull #84
Del Mar, CA 92014
EMail: hjkarten@ucsd.edu
jklewissf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The outfit in the UK that handles the Scott boom brake now is called sailspar. A link to them is included on the scott boom brake page in my previous post.

The current price for the larger of the two models is 401 GBP plus 70 GBP for shipping to the US.

When I wrote directly to sailspar I got two responses in a day. One was to my first email in June and the other to my recent email. I guess my original email was passed on to them but they dropped the ball initially.

They said that they have had a supplier problem for one component of the device and that was now resolved so they will be shipping in about 5 weeks.
KF6BPU
hjkarten
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fleming now makes a boom brake at a very reasonable price. A smaller one for mainsails up to 450 square feet for $265 Australian = $210 U.S.; and a larger unit for mainsails up to 700 square feet for $295 Australian = ca. $240 U.S. ( 1 Austalian Dollar = $0.80 U.S. Dollar)
Just for additional appeal, he is including one at no extra cost when you buy one of his Windvanes.
I haven't tried it, but it seems to work on the same general principle as the Dutchman and Walder units. The Scott Boom Brake mentioned in prior posts is probably a bit easier to use and has a clever method of controlling from the cockpit. The price on the Scott is stated to be a total of about 401 British Pounds (=$800 U.S. Dollars), plus shipping to U.S. of an additional 70 British Pounds ($140), and doesn't include the cost of a rope clutch and the installation. But the Fleming also requires purchase of a few turning blocks and the necessary rope, and is easiest to install if you have a spare secondary winch on the coaming. Not sure of the shipping costs. If it is of the quality of Fleming's other products, it should be of first rate construction.
regards,
Harvey
Hull #84
Del Mar, CA 92014
hjkarten
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The correct URL for Fleming is www.flemingselfsteer.com
Be very careful about this, as there is phony company pretending to be part of his company at www.flemingselfsteering.com who sells units from older molds and provides no warranty.
No cheaper, just unreliable ripoff artist.
H.K.
Hull #84
Del Mar, CA 92014
Mike W.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies,
Barbara and I were shoppin' the Second Wave store's, found a Walder 203 for nice price and dosen't look a bit used, but no instructions.
Still sorting out thier site.

From what I understand the Walder dose not need the extra block and tackle assembly to load the line tension on the rotating friction wheel style.

There are no sailboat's in our marina with a Walder, or any other type for that matter.

Just how much line tesion is needed to work the Walder's?
jklewissf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try this link for info about walder...there seems to be plenty of pictures

http://www.walderweb.com/walder_en.htm
KF6BPU
Mike W.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get it,,,,,,,
nothing would pop up or key when I went there before, thank's for the link and now the damn site makes sence! Shocked
hjkarten
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That Walder is pretty pricey. 587 Euros! That's about $800, not including the various lines, shipping costs, etc. Only slightly different in design from the Dutchman, or the new Fleming unit. They all work on the same principle. The only one that is slightly different is the Scott Boom Brake.
regards,
Harvey
Hull #84
Del Mar, CA 92014
Mike W.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Harvey, like you sometimes I find something very cheap, we only paid $125,,,, plus tax,, Wink

I'll install it as per instructions, pre stretched line, triple purchase.

I don't know where I'm going to buy pre stretched line, guess I'll have to do that myself,,,,,,,

I've got an idea,,,,,

I'll secure one end of the line I buy to the van and tie off the other end to the Harley and , , , , , , , Shocked
Kamaloha

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't chimed in because I've been away most of the summer, half of it on the boat. As JKL said, the Scott boom brake is what I have and I have been very pleased with it. I don't have any spare winches, and once I threw that in, the Scott was less expensive than a Dutchman (whose design I did not like at all). The Scott works very well; you can make a nice controlled gybe with just fingertips. No rope clutch is required, just a tiny dinghy cam cleat for the 3mm control line. I bought their install kit so I wouldn't have to go searching for all the pieces & parts, but you could save money by buying just the unit; the install kit is all everyday stuff, easily obtained for less.
1987 T37 #542
Rich Hampel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie
Where do you run the preventer line for the Scott? ... to the cap rail or to the 'usual' large coach roof mounted pad eyes?
I assume you can terminate the 'control line' to a simple cam cleat on the deck house edge.

Was up near your way this summer with my boat .... harumpf, not enough CRAB, too much Lobstah. Had a hard time finding anyone who would supply real 'dawn butter' for the Lobstah .... what? What a summer with all the NEasterlies Smile

BTW ... Ive given up on the cobbled club foot vang ... when I need staysl head control control I run secondary sheets to the forward end of the genoa track. Am still planning on locking that gooseneck on the club foot so it more behaves like a Hoyt-boom.

regards
RichH
Ty37 #423 "Aquila"
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tayana Owners Group Forum Index -> Tayana Talk - We Have Moved to Google Groups -- CLOSED 11/1/07 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: