Tayana Owners Group Forum Index Tayana Owners Group
We have moved discussion to Google Groups -- TOGnews Forum was closed 11/1/07

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups
 Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tayana Vancouver 42

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tayana Owners Group Forum Index -> Tayana Talk - We Have Moved to Google Groups -- CLOSED 11/1/07
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikehirko

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Tayana Vancouver 42 Reply with quote

I am the new owner of hull #6.

1. I would like to hear from anyone that has "replaced" the boat's rudder with their experience and cost.

2. This boat has a staysail boom w/post and the single control line seems inadaquate for control besides rubbing the mast. I would like to hear from anyone having a staysail with boom post on their control line(s) configuration as well as those who have elected to remove the boom and post and just use sheets.

3. Has anyone ever trucked a T42? Your experience please.

4. I would like to refit portions of the cabin and would appreciate interior photos from other T42 (aft cockpit) owners for ideas.

Thanks.
Tom Shannon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
Congratulations on your new boat, they're great boats all around. I purchased mine in December and am still discovering how well they are made. Where will you be sailing out of? I can't help with your first three questions but if you go to Yachtworld.com and search for Tayana 42s you should be able to see a lot of interiors for ideas. Again congrats and lots of luck with her.
Tom Shannon
V42 Orion
mikehirko

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: V-42 Reply with quote

Tom Shannon wrote:
Mike,
Congratulations on your new boat, they're great boats all around. I purchased mine in December and am still discovering how well they are made. Where will you be sailing out of? I can't help with your first three questions but if you go to Yachtworld.com and search for Tayana 42s you should be able to see a lot of interiors for ideas. Again congrats and lots of luck with her.
Tom Shannon
V42 Orion

Boat was motored fom St. Augustine to Key West and then sailed to Galveston, TX. Boat is presently in Galveston, TX awaiting trucking to Tacoma, WA. Plan Puget Sound/British Columbia/maybe Alaska on shakedowns and then probably Hawaii before deep Pacific cruise.
Henryk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats. on your new boat .
I bought mine in may and survey showed a water in the rudder . mine was built in 1982 . After drilling an inspection hole , the boat expert at the yard where she is stored said that the foam the tayana builders used should have never been used in the rudder . The rudder will have to be taken out and rebuild . Didn't have a quote yet because we are not going to sail the boat until next year.
Regards
Henryk
Tayana V 42 hull #52
mikehirko

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Vancouver 42 Rudder Reply with quote

I sent my rudder to Foss Foam ( http://fossfoam.com/ ) in southern CA for repair, they have been doing rudders for many years. They had to build a mold to make a new rudder using the original post which was still in good shape and very important in keeping the cost down. Cost was $2500 plus shipping...Tayana quoted $7000 plus shipping. Turnaround time was 18 days from pickup to delivery back to the boat. Rudder and stock are very heavy but shipping was under $200 via Pilot Air Freight 3-5 day economy rate...shipped by truck with return weight of 330 lbs in a very heavy crate made from gluded and screwed 2x8s, one inch and 3/4 inch plywood. Foss said the foam used in the original was low density; Foss used high density foam in the replacement. This will make the rudder heavier but stronger and better in keeping the water out. Removal of the old rudder took less than an hour by the local yard saying the good bronze used in manufacturing was the reason...no frozen bolts.

Good luck.
Bill Rohde

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only comment on trucking and the staysail boom.

Regarding trucking, we had Cross Country out of Hastings, MN, truck our Van 42 Pilothouse from Alameda, CA, to Duluth, MN, 8 years ago. They did a great job, although it required some creative routing because of height (I have one of the few Pilothouse models ever built, which increased the normal bridge clearance by about another 18" or so).

Regarding the staysail boom, we like ours and particularly like the self-tending nature of the boomed staysail. I don't understand your comments on chafing the mast, or inadequate control lines. Our staysail sheet runs through blocks between the aft end of the boom and a car mounted on a track on the cabin top, then forward up to the staysail boom gooseneck, then down and along the deck through leads on the side of the cabin sides. I put on a Spinlock line stopper on the cabinside right in front of the cockpit, which allows me to get double duty from the staysail sheet winch locaed on the port coaming (I also use that for roller-furling when there is too much load to safely furl the headsail by hand). I recently replaced the staysail sheet. If I remember right I believe both the old and new lines are 7/16, possibly 1/2.

Being a PH, my interior would be totally different than yours. That said, their are pics of our Van 42 on the TOG FTP site.

I hope that helps. Enjoy your new V42!

Bill
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tayana Owners Group Forum Index -> Tayana Talk - We Have Moved to Google Groups -- CLOSED 11/1/07 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: