Tayana Owners Group Forum Index Tayana Owners Group
We have moved discussion to Google Groups -- TOGnews Forum was closed 11/1/07

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups
 Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cleaning the teak deck after the winter green has set in?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tayana Owners Group Forum Index -> Tayana Talk - We Have Moved to Google Groups -- CLOSED 11/1/07
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike W.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Cleaning the teak deck after the winter green has set in? Reply with quote

Hi all, anybody got any suggestions on cleaning the green out of the teak without damaging the wood?

You see, this is how it happened, we've been real busy selling our house, cars and all the other stuff we don't want to store while we're in the South Pacific.
So we started moving onto the boat and noticed that if you don't wash these boats once in a while they start to turn green.
I know I don't want to use to harsh of a soap or cleaner, or scrub real hard and damage the grain of the teak.
Any help would be great!

We're live-aboards now and have net service hooked up and get on with keepin' up on things.

Mike W.
sv-Machrihanish
Jack

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: cleaning teak decks Reply with quote

I have a l987 T-37 with teak decks and am careful with cleaning products. Everything I have used seems to be marginal at best without damaging the wood fibers..So, I try not to scrub at all. what has worked so far is mixing a quart of bleach with two gallons of clean water, and using a garden sprayer, wetting down the deck...no rubbing or brushing, just let it sit and dry...the green and black go away..and it seems to have a residual effect in that the growth doesn't begin to come back for six months or so..and in the NW that is a major victory over mold ....I also was concerned the bleach might adversely affect the polysulfite bedding compound, but have not noticed any problems.

Jack
Interlude
hull 528
Mike W.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, we'll give it a try.
dougb

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a T37 with teak decks and have the green monster visit me as well. The teak seems to like the powder like Ajax which you shake on out of its container and then don't use a brush. Wet the decks first, and keep the hose handy to keep the decks moist as the Ajax does its thing. Then using a nylon heavy duty scrubbing pad which is sold at West Marine or Home Depot for half that price, gently go over the decks with the grain. Then rinse very thoroughly. The wood looks like new and the grain is protected because no brush is used. Have used this system for fifteen years and it works great.
Ralph Richardson

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note of caution- Clorine (bleach, cleanser w/ bleach, etc.) is very harmful to the environment. Spraying bleach on your teak deck is OK though, as long as you are careful not to allow any into the water. An hour of exposure to sunlight will neutralize the harmful effects, so your method is not only an effective green slime killer, but sound environmentally as well. As lovers of the sailing lifestyle, we should be rabid defenders of the sea and it's inhabitants. Just thought you'd like to know!

Tree Hugging Dirt Worshiper
Mike W.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the post I wanted to see Ralph, I was a bit afraid to ask what would be earth friendly.

Thanks,
Kamaloha

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralph, I'm just curious where you got this tidbit. Salt = sodium chloride, which when dissolved in water breaks into Na+ and Cl-, so I think there is plenty of chlorine in seawater already. And as for poisonous, bleach actually isn't; I had a patient once drink a gallon of bleach in a suicide attempt. I called poison control to find out that it's actually not harmful at the normal 5% concentration level. He did smell like a laundromat, though.

Considering the millions of tons of bleach used to purify the public water supply, which then heads into the oceans, I think that cleaning your decks is truly a "drop in the bucket".

When it comes to chlorine in the environment, it's actually chlorinated hydrocarbons, generically known as dioxins, which are toxic to the environment. These are generally produced as a byproduct of paper production and other industrial processes. There's no carbon in bleach.
1987 T37 #542
Ralph Richardson

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie; Sure, there are many sources of pollution. Everyday someone throws the wrong valve and ten thousand gallons of untreated sewage goes directly into our local rivers, streams, and oceans. Using some peoples misguided logic, it would be perfectly alright to then pump our boats holding tanks overboard, because it would be "just a drop in the bucket".

Neither you, nor I, nor most other responsible boaters would ever dream of doing such a silly thing. We all treat our oceans, rivers and lakes with the respect they deserve. We love the sailing lifestyle and would never deliberately do something to harm the source of our greatest joy. I'm not really a rabid environmentalist, just a sailor and surfer, but when I see someone polluting, deliberately or through lack of understanding, I say something.

I don't know squat about chemistry either, but this is a fact: chlorine kills fish. The chlorine used to purify our drinking water kills fish. Just ask anyone who has ever owned an aquarium. You fill it with tap water and either treat it to dissipate the chlorine, or let it sit for 24 hours to let the process occur naturely.

With all the pollution out there already, I'm not willing to contribute to it in any way. I trust you would'nt either.

Tree Hugging Dirt Worshiper
Rich Hampel

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as an 'aside' ....
I dont have any 'green', mold, or GREY on my teak decks since I've been using Wayne Strausbaugh's magic teak deck potion. NOTHING adheres to it and I simply swab it with carwash soap to lift the crud. Ive had Wayne's magic formula on for 15 months now .... and get all sorts of ooooohs and aaaaaahs from the dock lurkers. Best of all, I have GOOD looking decks - (no dirty tee shirt grey), ***easily cleanable***, doesnt go moldy after weeks of wet weather, and most importantly 'have the same wet-traction as when they were bare'.

I started with freshly sanded decks but you could probably apply Wayne's mixture after an aggressive soak/scrub with trisodiumphosphate (TSP) to remove ALL the grey/dirt, followed with a bleaching with oxalic acid.

go to the TOG ftp site in the 'projects & pubs' header (above) and look up (or download) "Decks_Teak_Oil_Test"

Kudos to Wayne for his 'magic formula' ..... it WORKS.
Smile
Ty37 #423 "Aquila"
Kamaloha

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich, you;re saying his formula works in salt water? His article seemed to indicate it wouldn't.
1987 T37 #542
Rich Hampel

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far my decks have been unaffected by salt water.

Water does 'wet' the wood cells using this formula ... so you see some color darkening when the decks are wetted but turns back to the original color when they dry .... but so far I havent seen any color changes due to salt water. I did oxalic bleach my decks; so, maybe because my decks being somewhat 'lighter' colored thats the reason I have havent seen any degradation, etc. so far.
I recently did my cockpit grates with Wayne's formula .... next weekend I'll soak a section of one cockpit floor grate with a saturated salt water solution, just to see what happens, etc. Im scheduled to work on the boat all weekend so I'll jest keep on soaking part of a grate to accelerate the 'test' and report back to you.
Ty37 #423 "Aquila"
Rollo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Teak cleaning Reply with quote

Go to most supper market's and look for BAR KEEPERS FRIEND, it contains oxalic acid. Use a sponge with a scrubby pad on the back and water to gently massage the paste like stuff onto your teak, wait about 3-4 minutes, rinse off. It brings back the wonderful color with out scubbing the soft grain out of the wood. This is great stuff to have on the boat for it does the same for stained fiberglass doing the same application.

Rollo
hjkarten
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is obviously a topic that attracts a lot of manufacturers, and the diversity of opinions may indicate that there is no single decent solution.
But in our attempts to deal with it, I decided to try the following:

1) Gently, very gently, wash down the decks with a mild biodegradable detergent. Using a soft mop, I softly swirled the mop and soap. Let it sit a while. Gently hose it down.
2) I then used either of several different cleaning agents: Simple Green, Lysol, Greased Lightning and some other (forgotten) brands. Some of them claimed to have "safe bleach" or some such nonsense. They provide no info on this. I sprayed it on a few square feet at a time, and after a few minutes soaking, gently swirled with a soft sponge. I then washed it with a stream of water.
3) I was careful not to gouge the pith in the grain, realizing that most of the dirt, grease, and fungus, was deep in the excavated grooves.
4) I let it dry thoroughly
5) Following a light wash with denatured alcohol, I again let it dry.
6) Unable to find the components needed to replicate Wayne's magic formula, I bought a quart of Starbrite's "Tropical Teak Sealer" (TTS).
It reportedly blocks the growth of fungus, seals the surface preventing petroleum products in the air from soaking into the teak, and forms a water shedding surface sealant. It is not slick or slippery, and gives excellent traction. Produces a "natural" look to the teak. It has been in use for about a year or more by several people on our dock, and even the most sceptical boatwrights are now using it.
7) TTS - Tropical Teak Sealer - is applied with a simple foam brush (I only use foam brushes made by Jen, Corp. The ones you buy at Home Depot are garbage, and only last about 10 minutes before they become floppy and start to shed small bits of foam).
8) I try to limit the TTS to teak planks. The only concern is that it does transiently soften the caulking (TDS), so it is important to carefully wipe off the TTS from the caulking. But in those places where I missed it, the caulking surface was briefly tacky, then was OK by the next morning. The tackiness is due to the petroleum base in the TTS. Best to be careful when applying and then wipe if off the actual caulking. I suspect that Wayne's Magical Formula is probably pretty close to this stuff, has the same properties, and almost certainly has a similar petroleum base.
I started by putting it only on the teak straking in the cockpit, and after several months, really have been impressed by its ability to resist fungus, shed water, and prevent air-borne jet fuel residue from penetrating into the teak. (We keep our boat at a spot that is about 1 mile in from both the San Diego Airport and the Coronado Naval Air Station. So we get lots of crap in the air, not to mention the serious air pollution from the smog and other emissions. )

We don't have as serious a problem with algae and fungus as people living in the Pacific Northwest, but the TTS is also said to resist the growth of that lovely green algae. I also like the color, which is nearly identical to that shown in Wayne's pictures.
Anything this good must be poisonous!
Definitely worth a shot.

regards,
Harvey
Hull #84
Del Mar, CA 92014
EMail: hjkarten@ucsd.edu
jklewissf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a little off topic but Barkeepers Friend works very well on stainless steel. Its a lot cheaper than things like Flitz and has the same active ingredient so the brown patina goes away very easily. It works well on the ss sinks as well as on the lifeline stantions and other ss above deck/ I dont use it on rigging.

Cant help with advise on teak decks except for the obvious solution I used on my boat, don't have teak decks.
Tayana 37 PH #581 "Active Transport"
KF6BPU
Rollo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Teak deck's Reply with quote

Here's another one (off the path of teak) on to stainless, It's called WICKED PRODUCTS, It's available on-line through there web site. The more you use it the more shine you get, it's amazing stuff, works as good on aluiminum.

Rollo
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tayana Owners Group Forum Index -> Tayana Talk - We Have Moved to Google Groups -- CLOSED 11/1/07 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: