Tayana Owners Group Forum Index Tayana Owners Group
We have moved discussion to Google Groups -- TOGnews Forum was closed 11/1/07

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups
 Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vancouver 42 Prop

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tayana Owners Group Forum Index -> Tayana Talk - We Have Moved to Google Groups -- CLOSED 11/1/07
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikehirko

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Vancouver 42 Prop Reply with quote

My 1979 Vancouver 42 came with an 18RH10 prop installed but I found a 16RH10 onboard. Does anyone know what the standard prop size is?
Kamaloha

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends - what is your motor, (HP & model) and transmission gear ratio? My T37 has a Yanmar 4JHE (40HP) with a 2.14 gear ratio and a top end of 3600RPM, and turns a 450 x 200 prop (18" x 8").
1987 T37 #542
Tom Shannon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie,
I've got the same engine on my V42. What RPM do you cruise at?
Tom Shannon
V42 Orion
Kamaloha

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find my T37 is actually overpowered at 40 HP. By the time I hit 2500 RPM with my arrangement the stern is squatting, indicating I've hit hull speed. Any higher than that and I'm just burning more fuel without going much faster. I typically use 2000 - 2400 RPM. (The book value is 3600 RPM but I'm overpropped for that.)
1987 T37 #542
Jack

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 4jhe Yanmar, turning a 3 blade michigan prop 18x12...I think i am over propped by 2 inches. I cannot reach the 3600 max rpm...only about 3000rpm, ..I run normally at 2500 to 2600 rpm and get about 7knots boat speed....any thoughts on prop size and or engine performance...It would seem I am not working the engine as hard as if I were running at the 80 percent of max which seems to be the target rpm

Jack
Interlude
mikehirko

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Vancouver 42 Prop Reply with quote

More info on my situation. This V-42 was repowered with a Volvo D2-55B and, by the looks of the prop, it has been on a lot longer...previous engine was a Perkins 4.108. Volvo literature graph shows that the optimum fuel comsumption RPM is 2300 rpm and that normally gets me at a cruising speed of 6.5 knots. I have only filled the tanks a couple times but fuel consumption is about 1.5 gph. I am going to contact Michigan Wheel and see what they say is recommended and will report back to everyone.
Tom Shannon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With my Yanmar 4JHE I run at 2500 RPM and that gets me about 6.4 knots. I have a 3 blade maxprop. I'm thinking I should be at a higher RPM and was curious what everyone else is doing.
Tom Shannon
V42 Orion
Jack

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,
I think you are very close to the power/speed curve...with a clean bottom, and 2600..I get 7 knots in flat water, with my 4jhe and a three blade michigan prop..18x12. I think I an over proped by maybe 2 inches..I could go up and get more high end revs,but at what cost?..more fuel burn, and more engine wear...I still have plenty of power at 3000 rpm....I know with the max..a slight adjustment makes a big difference..a friend in a Halberg Rassy 35 serviced his Max...and was off by one notch..and the boat was a tug..couldn't get 1000 rpm on a volvo perkins...and no speed..but could pull a tanker...

jack
Interlude
T-37 528
Kamaloha

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic will be interesting for me come Spring. I just replaced my shaft and prop, putting a Vari-Prop on there. I could not fit a Max-Prop in the aperture without modifying it, and the VariProp fit just fine. I'll be launching and sea-trialing it next Spring. I did not realize it was going to be so sensitive to the pitch setting; hopefully the fellow at Epifanes (the importer for Vari-Prop) did a good job with his calculations.

BTW, if anyone is interested, once the sea-trials work out OK I'll be sellng my old shaft and prop. I replaced the shaft not due to corrosion, but because VariProp could not deal with the non-standard left-handed thread that Tayana used. The shaft is true and non-corroded, with a little wear at the stuffing box location (I'll measure it when I list it for sale next Spring.)
1987 T37 #542
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tayana Owners Group Forum Index -> Tayana Talk - We Have Moved to Google Groups -- CLOSED 11/1/07 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: