Tayana Owners Group Forum Index Tayana Owners Group
We have moved discussion to Google Groups -- TOGnews Forum was closed 11/1/07

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups
 Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wind Generator for V42 Suggestions

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tayana Owners Group Forum Index -> Tayana Talk - We Have Moved to Google Groups -- CLOSED 11/1/07
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StolenChild

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Wind Generator for V42 Suggestions Reply with quote

Has anyone installed a wind generator on their V42? I will be doing so in the near future and thought I'd ask for any advice anyone has before I begin. One thing I'm particularly interested in is clearance. I have a radar mounted on the starboard side and davits directly on the stern, so the generator will have to go on the starboard side. Depending on the rotor diameter, it looks like I'm going to have to mount it pretty high to clear the bimini and backstay. I was initially leaning toward the KISS generator, but Practical Sailor just did a review and found the KISS to be the loudest of the 5 they tested. The Superwind 350 and Air Breeze both look good in the test results, but the rotor diameter is almost 4 feet, which got me wondering about clearance. The canoe stern on the V42 doesn't offer as much real estate on the port and starboard quarters as other boats. Any suggestions or things I should pay attention to would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Patrick
Tayana 42 Hull #92
Web: www.patrickandnancy.net
6string

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick

I don't own a Tayana 42 yet ! In my looking around on Yacht world this afternoon I found this. http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/boatFullDetails.jsp?currency=USD&units=Feet&currencyid=100&boat_id=1741619&ybw=&units=Feet&access=Public&listing_id=32744&url=
I thought it might help.

Best of luck.

Jeff
hwfahs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Wind Generator Reply with quote

I have a Four Winds II on my 42 aft cockpit. It mounts on a nine ft. pole
at the center of the stern. I also have davits. It has been on the boat for
years and works great.
HW Fahs
S/V La Buena Vida
StolenChild

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Jeff and HW. I looked up the Four Winds II and it is a two-blade with a 60" rotor diameter. That's pretty big. If it clears everything on a 9' pole, I should be OK with whichever generator I choose. HW, what diameter pole is it mounted on?

Thanks,
Patrick
Tayana 42 Hull #92
Web: www.patrickandnancy.net
hwfahs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Wind Generator Reply with quote

I would guess it is probably an inch or 1 1/4. Contact Paul at Four Seasons
and he can tell you. He supplies the pole and supports with the generator.
He is a really great source of info on solar and wind charging, and a great guy.
I'm a few thousand miles from my boat or I would gladly measure it.
HW Fahs
S/V La Buena Vica
Kamaloha

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll put in a second vote for the Fourwinds-II. I selected mine by rowing around the anchorage in Trellis Bay and listening. The 4W-II was the quietest one out there, and it really cranks out the amps when the wind gets 15 kts or greater. In addition, mine survived Ivan with 125kt winds WHILE TURNING (OOPS!!!) with no damage. All the others I saw in Grenada were destroyed by the storm. It's one tough bugger. Make sure the pole is tall enough that nobody gets decked though - that big prop is pretty scary.
1987 T37 #542
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tayana Owners Group Forum Index -> Tayana Talk - We Have Moved to Google Groups -- CLOSED 11/1/07 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: