Tayana Owners Group Forum Index Tayana Owners Group
We have moved discussion to Google Groups -- TOGnews Forum was closed 11/1/07

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups
 Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Holding tank vent

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tayana Owners Group Forum Index -> Tayana Talk - We Have Moved to Google Groups -- CLOSED 11/1/07
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fosterm00

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Holding tank vent Reply with quote

greg.....or anyone else ..... I have been having a problem with a smelly (not really stinky just smelly) in the head and can’t figure out why … could it be the vent … When, the holding tank is full and you flush the toilet is the stuff suppose to come out the vent? … Foster
I own a 37 Tayana Mk II, I bought it a yr ago, I have not sailed it much, I have been updating the electronics and working on the rigging and the sails, but next summer I intend to sail down the sound to Olympia ....
Rich Hampel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than 'stink permeated' discharge hoses needing replacement to 'sanitary' quality hose, the probable chief cause of the head being 'stinky' is that impossibly small vent line. If the vent is too small or restricted the fermentation gases inside the holding tank have no where to go - except back through the toilet discharge line and out through the toilet. This will wreak havoc on all the joker, etc. valves on your head plumbing. An enlarged holding tank vent, that doesnt 'block' is the answer ( or you can simply 'crack'/loosen the holding tank deck-fill when off the boat so the holding tank can 'breathe' unrestricted).
On my boat I know when to clean out the vent line .... I can smell it IN the head compartment.

The secondary source is the water inlet lines used to flush the head. Sea and raw water is loaded with microorganism when these become trapped and die in the water intake line the 'bodies' decay there and the 'putrenes' (products of decomposition) permeate the inlet water line. Sanitary hoses are not 'armored' and therefore its risky to put unarmored hose into any circuit that is below the boats waterline. The alternative here is to flush the head with FRESH water .... but (important) not have the fresh water supply in any way connected to your tankage - you will need to discharge to a secondary tank with an air-break between the two fresh water tanks. This is to prevent retrograde bio contamination from the head and its independent fresh water supply back into the main fresh water tankage.

hope this helps.
Ty37 #423 "Aquila"

Last edited by Rich Hampel on Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Henryk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the summer edition of " Boat Works " magazine there is a great article about dealing with the holding tank vent , or actually how to make that vent reusable . It is very simple , you just cut one end of it, add some couplings and fill it with activated carbon that you can easily buy it from any pet store in the aquarium section .
If you can't get hold of that literature , let me know ,I'll Scan it for you and emailed it .

Regards
Henryk
Tayana 42 CC
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tayana Owners Group Forum Index -> Tayana Talk - We Have Moved to Google Groups -- CLOSED 11/1/07 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: