Tayana Owners Group Forum Index Tayana Owners Group
We have moved discussion to Google Groups -- TOGnews Forum was closed 11/1/07

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups
 Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tayana 37 Holding Tank Vent

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tayana Owners Group Forum Index -> Tayana Talk - We Have Moved to Google Groups -- CLOSED 11/1/07
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Tayana 37 Holding Tank Vent Reply with quote

The vent hose to the holding tank on my '85 T37 is blocked. I've tried blowing it out with compressed air with no success. The attachment point on the tank is under the engine and completely unaccessable. Short of pulling the engine does anybody have a cure?

Greg
Rich Hampel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsolve or other commercial boiler de-scaling compounds will do the trick. Just pour into the vent line, let sit and it will open. Such compounds will not harm the metal elbows, mounted on the tank. Its always good to descale the raw water side of the engine cooling circuit ... so you can do both jobs at the same time Wink
www.marsolve.com or www.rydlyme.com

The REAL problem is that the vent line is too small (for many reasons) in diameter and evaporation of the 'contents' that adhere to vent walls forms 'insoluable salts' in the vent line. Sometimes just 'roto-routing' with a hunk of wire thats 'sharp' on one end will do the trick and will 'bore through' the blockage of form 'rocks'. If you change out the line (with great difficulty and risk because of the location of the tank under the engine) be sure to increase the diameter of the line, and run the line well UP into a self draining loop. Ive backfilled my holding tank when on a loooooong tack with the rail submerged ... a self draining 'high loop' in the vent would prevent this.
A larger diameter vent line will possible allow 'aerobic fermentation' which will promote LESS STINK, less chance for 'back pressure' ... so that the gases dont 'burp' back through the head bowl, etc. and give the head compartment 'that characteristic outhouose/boat smell'
Ty37 #423 "Aquila"
hjkarten
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is not fun to change the vent line. But it can be done without removing the engine. If you "lie on your belly like a reptile" and have reasonably long arms, you will be able to reach it to change all the hoses into and out of the holding tank. Not fun, but it can be done. If you have trouble reaching all the hoses and the clamps, you still can often reach all the parts by draining the tank in the bilge (in our case that is the fresh water tank), removing the tank, and then climbing down into the bilge. Not a log of fun, but a lot better than even thinking of removing the engine.

I also suggest that you check the outlet of the vent line. Ours is on the port side, and runs up in the lazarette. It goes to a small thru-hull well above the rub rail. The outlet fitting on ours was blocked, and that proved to be a consequence of the fact that they had installed a zinc fitting. The zinc corroded and plugged the outlet. I removed the zinc fitting and replaced it with a stainless one for only a couple of dollars, and the problem was largely solved.
regards,
Harvey
Hull #84
Del Mar, CA 92014
EMail: hjkarten@ucsd.edu
Early_Liberty

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Blocked Head Vent Reply with quote

Our vnt was blocked also, on "old fashioned" remedythat did the rick for us was white vineger down the vent line...it will disolve the calicum / lime build up...and a by the way is that the thru hull can become a great place for the mud dabber type of wasp...
jklewissf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my tayana vent is still open but I have had the problem on other boats and found that I was always able to blow the line open with a garden hose held up against the end of the vent hose. A few gallons of freshwater seemed to blow most of the crud back into the tank.

Pulling the screens out of the through hull fitting helped too. Those screens are good for keeping bugs out of water tank vents but seem unnecessary forholding tank vents. Actually the whole probable might be eases by using a small straight through hull fitting for that particular vent. The you would not even have to remove the hose from the vent fitting to do the garden hose thing.

BTW, I clean the garden hose in chlorox before I use it for any other purpose. While doing this one day I reflected on the fact that its probably not a great idea to borrow your dockmate's hose to fill water tanks. You never know where its been.
Tayana 37 PH #581 "Active Transport"
KF6BPU
Kamaloha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had to clear mine, and I found a piece of 3/16 SS wire with a frayed end in the boatyard dumpster and ran it down the vent hose from the outside. Did the trick nicely.

Harvey, what tiny thruhulls did you use as a replacement? Sounds like a good idea.
1987 T37 #542
hjkarten
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Charlie,
I looked up my original notes, and could only find a limited bit of information in my records.
....chromed brass unit. Original unit was slightly smaller than replacement. Had to use file to widen hole. Vent hose is about 3/4".
I paid $5.60 at the local West Marine.
Do not get the zinc unit. That was the source of the problem.
Don't have any info on the name of the manufacturer.

regards,
Harvey
Hull #84
Del Mar, CA 92014
EMail: hjkarten@ucsd.edu
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tayana Owners Group Forum Index -> Tayana Talk - We Have Moved to Google Groups -- CLOSED 11/1/07 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: