Tayana Owners Group Forum Index Tayana Owners Group
We have moved discussion to Google Groups -- TOGnews Forum was closed 11/1/07

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups
 Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

T37 Oval Ports / Hinges

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tayana Owners Group Forum Index -> Tayana Talk - We Have Moved to Google Groups -- CLOSED 11/1/07
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ReVision II

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:21 am    Post subject: T37 Oval Ports / Hinges Reply with quote

Hi all, I am trying to track down replacement catches for the oval ports in our 1983 T37, also drop in hinges for the interior doors. Small but annoying things - any suggestions?
Bruce chu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:06 am    Post subject: part replacements Reply with quote

Smile Hi you could email to our company address as tayangco@ms15.hinet.net. to get the service for you.

Bruce Chu Project Engineer in Tayana
David and Genie Berry

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Port - Chains Reply with quote

Did you have any luck getting the port chains - the chains that hold up the opening port?
Denise

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:32 am    Post subject: Port replacement Parts Reply with quote

We are looking for the adhesive and gasket material for our 85 T37 oval ports. We recently had new glass cut to replace all the original port glass but have not been able to find replacement gasket specific to Tayana Ports. We had tried emailing Tayana when we were looking for the new glass but got no response from them. Would be nice to have a good contact there if Bruce was able to help you, or at least respond.
Rich Hampel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look in your local Yellow Pages for GASKETS or Industrial Rubber / O-rings.

A gasket supplier can easily cut rubber (Silicone, BUNA, etc.) sheet into any dimension that you need.

An alternative is to FILL the gasket grooves with Silicone RTV rubber, etc. used in automotive 'form-a-gasket' applications and then apply a 'release' compound (Teflon/PTFE lubricant, etc.) to prevent the compound from 'sticking'. Such compounds will shrink when curing so you usually have to do this 'twice' to totally fill the groove so that its 'flat' with the groove flange surface. Permaflex HiTemp RTV ... availabe in automotive supply stores.
Ty37 #423 "Aquila"
Ralph Richardson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denise;
I replaced the gaskets on my 1985 T-37 ports a little over a year ago. I found a company that specializes in making gaskets for the airplane industry and they were able to cut heavy neoprene material to my specifications. I brought them the remains of a gasket that I'd removed and they had twenty or so new ones ready for me the next day (I had them make extras for spares). I think they charged my about $30 total.
I glued the new gaskets into place using Boatlife Caulk after carefully cleaning the groove with solvent. You should be able to find a local gasket specialty business nearby. Good luck.

Ralph Richardson
TERRA NOVA
T-37 ketch #406
Portland, Oregon
Denise

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich, Ralph:

Appreciate the information. I think I will have better luck in my search now that I have an idea of what I am looking and asking for.

Thanks for such a quick response.

Very Happy
Sandra Blake

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: T37 Oval Ports / Hinges Reply with quote

Denise-
We replaced all the glass and gaskets in our 1983 T-37 several years ago. Perko makes a gasket material that will work; Defender Industries also makes a nice square gasket material which we used in the round port lights (found out about it after we'd done the oval ones). I don't remember the size - 1/4" or 3/8" - be sure to clean the grooves with a special cleaner before gluing the gasket material in. Boat Life makes some. We used an automotive gasket adhesive from the auto parts store to affix the gasket material into the grooves. Six years later and no leaks, and all gaskets holding up well.

Also, I hope you saved all the little screws that hold the "bezel" in place over the glass - they are almost impossible to find. I lucked out and got some from Fasco Fasteners (they usually sell to the trade only, but I guess the guy felt sorry for me). They were a tiny bit too long so I had to cut them down a bit, but the were the right size and material otherwise.

Good luck.
Hull #328
Herndon, VA
Sandra Blake

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: T37 Oval Ports / Hinges Reply with quote

Denise -

Try ABI Industries. They specialilze in a lot of Taiwanese hardware. They're in CA. Check their website...guaranteed you'll recognize a lot of your boat's hardware. If they don't carry those particular hinges, TaYang will probably still does and will send them to you for a very reasonable fee (i'e purchased hatch lifters and the head/v-berth door latch assembly replacements from TaYang. The air freight cost about $20.
Hull #328
Herndon, VA
Denise

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sandra for responding. We found a couple of places locally that will make neoprene gaskets to our specs per Ralph's suggestion, we haven't gone down in person yet with our port, but don't think we will have a problem.

When we took the first port apart to get the glass out, we recognized the importance of securing a safe place for the little screws. I would really hate to have to try and replace them! Seem like the more we get involved with upgrading, the more we find to upgrade!

Denise
Kamaloha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: Port - Chains Reply with quote

David and Genie Berry wrote:
Did you have any luck getting the port chains - the chains that hold up the opening port?

ABI makes one which is nicer than the original (so far). I bought some from SailBoatStuff.com.
1987 T37 #542
Sandra Blake

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a bit creative replacing the broken port light chains. On our 1983, the chains are attached above the port light with a beefy split ring through a small eye strap. I bought one new port light chain, but it had a mouting plate with a different footoprint; the chain was way too long, and the bar piece that fit into the port light to hold it up was different. I didn't want to replace every chain, and I didn't want them looking obviously mismatched (ok - picky picky - but I didn't feel like paying a premium for that kind of result and extra work).

So, I measured the length of the port light chain, went to the local pet store and bought dog choker chain collars that were twice the length I needed and made my own replacements. I didn't have to mount new hardware or cut down and throw away multiple lengths of chain. I simply cut each choker collar in half, used the split rings already attached to the collar and attached the little bar pieces that hold the port light up to the other end. It has been a very satisfactory, quick and easy, heavy duty, and inexpensive, chrome plated fix. I should probably buy another dog collar or two as spares - not all our chains have failed - yet.
Hull #328
Herndon, VA
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tayana Owners Group Forum Index -> Tayana Talk - We Have Moved to Google Groups -- CLOSED 11/1/07 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: