Tayana Owners Group Forum Index Tayana Owners Group
We have moved discussion to Google Groups -- TOGnews Forum was closed 11/1/07

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups
 Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dinghy Davits for T37

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tayana Owners Group Forum Index -> Tayana Talk - We Have Moved to Google Groups -- CLOSED 11/1/07
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dougb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Dinghy Davits for T37 Reply with quote

I am wanting to install davits on my 1981 T37, Honu. I have a Flemming windvane attached and want the davits to be able to swing in when not in use. I have seen many davit systems but I am concerned with what davits would work and what type of deck mounting is required to hang a rigid inflatable weighing in at about 100 pounds. Any suggestions would help. I like the Garhauer davits but would they carry the weight. They say, "Yes" but I have to wonder.

Thanks so much
Doug B.
Honu, T37 #285
Ventura, CA
hjkarten
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Doug,
If you check the FTP site of TOGNews (I hope it is still working!?), and look at the folder containing pictures of Fleming windvanes, you will see a set of pictures of Machrihanish, a Tayana 37. It has a Fleming and has dinghy davits. I think that they may have been the factory original davits.
Seems to be a neat and very compact installation. If you try to contact Mike W and Barbara Emmons, the new owners of Machrihanish, they may be able to give you an evaluation of how the combination works out. They are leaving very shortly from Puget Sound, heading south for San Diego, then Mexico and ??? Perhaps you can connect with them as they pass down the coast and look at the setup yourself.
regards,
Harvey
Hull #84
Del Mar, CA 92014
EMail: hjkarten@ucsd.edu
David and Genie Berry

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Davits Reply with quote

I am interesting in modifying the original Tayana 37 davits - so that they will clear self-steering vane - but also so that they are at least 16" higher! Are you considering this - the original davits do not provide sufficient height off the water when heeled.
Has anyone accomplished this feat? Would also like to put a solar panel across the top.
Best, David
Rich Hampel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David -
Go the ftp site and download "Anchor Riding Sail" then go to IMG_0338

That old pic will show my modified OEM TaYang davits which I added a functional hinge - just beyond the limit of the pushpit. The hinge is fabricated with an adjustment screw so that I can vary the height of the davit as needed (I use several dinghys).

The flimsy OEM davits are quite 'shakey' when carrying a heavy load. They reallly need a small parallel support bar load to stiffen them. I did stiffen the attachment by applying SS large frame dodger/bimini hardware that connects to the upper/top rail of the pushpit.
I do not carry a dinghy in the davits when offshore for safety.

BTW - I can go to marinas that charge exacty by the foot and with the davits folded - dont get charged for the extra length.
Ty37 #423 "Aquila"
dougb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Dinghy Davits for T37 Reply with quote

I am considering the height of the davits off the water when heeled over with following seas. The davits do need to be quite high, but I also am considering just using the davits when in calmer seas, coastal cruising in CA, and putting the inflatable on the bow, deflated, when truly offshore. I would like to hear the name of a manufacturer which someone has used for their davits on their T37. Who is good and who is not? I have seen the Garhauer davits and use some of their great gear already, but not sure about their davits. Any opinions?

Doug
"Honu", T37
Ventura, CA
Kamaloha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My davits were custom made in St. Martin (the French side) by a master craftsman from South Africa. I had him replace all the SS on the boat aft of the gallows - new rails (extended forward one stanchion), new davits (do not swing, not removable, provide a place for the solar panel and antennas) and a new tower for the wind generator. IMHO it is well worth it NOT to have davits that swing; they are much more stable when welded together as a set. They get along with my windvane just fine. Of course, I almost never go to a marina. If I were paying marina fees for the extra four feet I might change my mind.
There are pix on the FTP site.
1987 T37 #542
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tayana Owners Group Forum Index -> Tayana Talk - We Have Moved to Google Groups -- CLOSED 11/1/07 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: