Tayana Owners Group Forum Index Tayana Owners Group
We have moved discussion to Google Groups -- TOGnews Forum was closed 11/1/07

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups
 Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

main sheet improvement project

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tayana Owners Group Forum Index -> Tayana Talk - We Have Moved to Google Groups -- CLOSED 11/1/07
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jklewissf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: main sheet improvement project Reply with quote

My pilot house boat came with a poorly thought out main sheet arrangement that was more like what you would see on a racing dingy than a boat the size of a T37. The original rig was a 6:1 sheet with a cam cleat on the lower triple block.

Since I had to replace the primaries that came on the boat (way too small for the genoa) with ARCO 50's I had a couple of extra winches and decided to use one of those ST 40s for the main sheet.

somewhere on the ftp site I saw some pics of a boat (in Florida judging by the vegetation in the background) with the main sheet led back on the top of the pilot house. That is what Im in the process of doing.

Unfortunately I had to deal with the fact that the hatches on the top of my pilot house keep me from running the line back without cutting a hole through the fg support for the traveler. Cutting that hole was a bitch but its done and the end of this project is within sight.

I was able to borrow one of the digital x-ray systems our company sells to horse veterinarians to find the place where the bolts went through the traveler support. I only mention this because the portable x-ray generator that has no trouble shooting through horse necks and butts had a hard time getting a good exposure through the fg on my traveler support. One thing the guys in Taiwan dont skimp on is fiberglass and resin. There was also quite a bit of plywood in that structure.

I started the process of preparing the bolt holes for the blocks and now have to make a decision regarding the new blocks and line.

What I was hoping for was some input on the size of mainsheets folks are using and if a 4:1 sheet is adequate with a st40 in the system.
Tayana 37 PH #581 "Active Transport"
KF6BPU
Kamaloha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mainsheet is 1/2" and has a 4:1 purchase. I use it on the original Barient winch which is pretty small; about the size of a Lewmar 15. I rarely need to actually use the winch as a winch; it's mostly used as a convenient cleat. I find with a 4:1 I can pretty much control the sheet by hand. I had replaced all the original blocks with Garhauer some time ago which lowered the friction enough so hand control is possible.
1987 T37 #542
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tayana Owners Group Forum Index -> Tayana Talk - We Have Moved to Google Groups -- CLOSED 11/1/07 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: