Tayana Owners Group Forum Index Tayana Owners Group
We have moved discussion to Google Groups -- TOGnews Forum was closed 11/1/07

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups
 Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tayana V-42CC Mast Support Post

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tayana Owners Group Forum Index -> Tayana Talk - We Have Moved to Google Groups -- CLOSED 11/1/07
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lenny Thorell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Tayana V-42CC Mast Support Post Reply with quote

Good Morning,
Hope all is well with you and yours on this solemn day in history.
I have a quick question regarding the offset curvature of the SS tube mast support that supports the coach roof/bulkhead from mast loads. On our 01 V-42 CC there is a curvature to accommodate it's point of support of the coach roof to it's entry point thru the dinette table and into the cabin sole. This doesn't appear stress related as there are no signs of gaps or separation.
I would like to know if this is typical of other V-42CC or just ours.
Thank-you for any and all responses.
Kind Regards, Lenny Thorell
S/V KI Bellingham, WA.
May Peace Prevail
FTimmons

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of an offset being built into a compression post. By design it should be purely in compression, with no bending moment on it at all.

There have been cases (somebody's T-37, I believe) where the compression post bent under load and had to be replaced.

I think this would be a good question to ask Basil at the Tayang yard, or get a qualified surveyor or boatbuilder to look at it.
Tom Shannon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lenny,
My compression post on my aft cockpit V42 is dead straight which is how it should be. I go along with Frank's comment that you should have a surveyer look at it. something is not right there.
Tom Shannon
V42 Orion
Lenny Thorell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, I e-mailed you my reply but I'll post it here to for others to input. Maybe my wording was incorrect. The post doesn't appear bent. It is out of plumb with the vertical axis of the vessel. It is angled to enter the salon table and cabin sole. Any new ideas?
I will seek out a qualified surveyor and check the mast tuning.
Thanks for any input. Lenny
FTimmons

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The post should be perpendicular to the coachroof and the keel step. If it is not, you're putting a side load on it that it is not designed to take.

The posts are supposed to be in pure compression. Any side loads will potentially decrease the buckling limit of the post. I cannot imagine why the yard would have installed it anyway but vertical.

I'd have somebody look at it.
Tom Shannon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lenny,
For some reason my response to your email would not go through.
The compression post should be plumb. I was on my boat when I saw your posting and checked mine, perfectly plumb as it should be. I think you are doing the right thing having someone check it. I would also have them check the post step. You may not be getting even load distribution there if theout of plumb is extreme. The previous owner of my boat had that step delaminate. I think it was a combination of overtensioning with a hydraulic backstay adjuster and a clogged drain hole. It cost him a lot to have it fixed. Geed luck and let us know how you make out.
Tom Shannon
V42 Orion
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tayana Owners Group Forum Index -> Tayana Talk - We Have Moved to Google Groups -- CLOSED 11/1/07 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: