Tayana Owners Group Forum Index Tayana Owners Group
We have moved discussion to Google Groups -- TOGnews Forum was closed 11/1/07

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups
 Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tayana/Vancouver 42

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tayana Owners Group Forum Index -> Gear & Yachts For Sale - CLOSED 11/1/07
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikehirko

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Tayana/Vancouver 42 Reply with quote

What are the differences between the Tayana 42 and the Tayana Vancouver 42? Is it just the production years or what?
Wayne Strausbaugh
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are all Vancouver 42's. Vancouver refers to the hull design. They were first made in Canada in 32 or 36-foot versions. Tayana bought the design for the Vancouver 42 from Robert Harris. Here's some info from the archives"

Jean-Louis
The V stands for Vancouver. The designer is a wonderful marine architect, Robert Harris. He lives in Vancouver. He also designed a V-32, and a V-27 or 28 that I have heard of. I chanced to meet him and his wife on a dock on Bowen Island this summer. He is a very thoughtful and gracious older gentleman. In our conversation, he stressed that the most important quality of a boat must be its seakindliness/ worthiness. He had a number of very sensible comments to make about both the esthetics and the seaworthiness of boats. I was very impressed. His boats are lovely.

regards, Harvey September 1999

There is also a Vancouver 25, 36 and 54. I don't know if the 54 was ever built but I have seen all of the others.

Earl Potter September 1999

Subject: Does anyone know how to contact Bob Harris?

Bob Harris is a delightful and very approachable person. He is based in the Vancouver area. We first met him on Bowen Island (the island right across from Vancouver where we were sailing) this past summer as we were returning the boat to our friends. He is a very gracious and taciturn individual. I am sure that you would find him very helpful regarding rigging, or any other issues, about his V-42.

Harvey Karten May 2000

Well, I found his number on the Internet yesterday and called him right up. He was quite friendly, and felt that both parts of my plan--adding sail area and making the inner stay removable--were quite workable. He didn't feel that mast inversion would be an issue unless the jumpers were "really tight".

Erik Hammarlund May 2000

We have a Vancouver 42, and in going through the old rags I noted the first description of the '42 in CW's 6/79 issue. The last paragraph indicated that the V-42 was "originally designed for cold molded construction by Aqua Craft Ltd. of Port Cocuitliam, British Columbia", but that a "production version" was going to be built in Taiwan and imported by Southern Offshore Yachts of Ft. Lauderdale, FL.

Anyone ever seen or heard of one of those wooden V-42's supposedly build in BC? The first V-42 ad I saw was in the 11/79 issue, saying hull #1 had just arrived in Newport, RI. Price was listed as $81,900 FOB East Coast. That same ad also listed the Tayana 37 as $61,900 FOB East Coast, with some T-37 hulls already built at that point.

A 1983 CW Boat Show Annual shows a V-42 Center Cockpit, announcing "...soon there will be another version of the aft cockpit Vancouver available in the spring of ‘83", obviously a reference to the trunk cabin design most V-42 owners have. Fun looking through the old rags.

Bill Rohde January 2003
Gypsy Soul

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Vancouver Tayanas Reply with quote

There is also a "new" 2002 Vancouver Passagemaker. They come in two sizes, a 44' square stern and a 46' with a sugar scoop stern. Both are extremely roomy boats built for shorthanded ocean passages. Robert Harris designed these as well. Lisa and I love our 44' cutter rigged boat the "Gypsy Soul"!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Tayana Owners Group Forum Index -> Gear & Yachts For Sale - CLOSED 11/1/07 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: